Did you know that one of your visitors’ favorite rooms is the kid’s playroom? Yep. That’s right. Ranks right up there with the kitchen. Guess they come to play with your toys and eat your food. Is your playroom (if you have one) the most visited room in the house? Do you know what makes it the favorite place to be?
As part of the Kids Playroom Creation Series, I thought a few design guidelines would help if you need to create a playroom or make it the destination of choice. When it comes to the room itself, here are a few top tips to remember:
Easy to clean, durable laminate floor
I love a good chalkboard!
Tree house with this ceiling would make anyone drift away to adventureland.
- Color: Cheerful, bright, kid-friendly. Nix the neutrals and grayed-out shades adults love. Use intense colors without fear and kids will love it! Develop a color scheme by selecting one main hue and adding an accent or two.
Bold use of color is great in playrooms.
- Light: Use blinds or shades to control natural light (most desirable source of light), reduce glare, and save energy. Install ample light fixtures, but avoid table and floor lamps. Wall mounted fixtures are best with overhead next. Select decorative, sturdy fixtures that are protected from occasional flying objects.
Controlled natural light plus overhead fixtures for plenty of light
Follow these tips if you want visitors coming back. But if you really don’t want visitors……Just kidding!
(Look for Top Tips to Remember Part-2. It will cover all the stuff added for comfort and kidstuff control.)
The full Kids Playroom Creation Series:
- Kids Playroom Creation: Family Benefits
- Kids Playroom Creation: How to Designate an Area
- Kids Playroom Creation: Top Tips to Remember Part-1
- Kids Playroom Creation: Top Tips to Remember Part-2
- Kids Playroom Creation: Making it Family-Friendly